Beer Maverick
Liquid Malt Extract (LME) Image

Liquid Malt Extract (LME)

Type: Grain
Category: Extract

Liquid Malt Extract (LME) is concentrated, unfermented brewery wort, a viscous syrup used in brewing. Similar to it's dry version (DME), it is commonly used in extract brewing as a way to make fermentable wort without working with many pounds of grain. There are Pilsner, Ultra-Light, Pale, Maris Otter, Bavarian Wheat, Munich, Rye, Porter and Stout dark malt extract, and Sorghum types of LME syrups.

The water content of liquid malt extract is usually around 20%, with the other remaining 80% composed of sugar and unfermentable solids that are important to brewers. One pound of liquid malt extract dissolved in one gallon of water will create an original gravity of 1.035.

Read More: Tips & Tricks to Extract Brewing

Liquid Malt Extract (LME) Brewing Values

These are the common ranges that we've seen with Liquid Malt Extract (LME) over the years. Each manufacturer can have slightly different qualities, so these ranges are based on a combination and average.

SRM
SRM is a scale for measuring the color intensity of a beer. Low SRM grains impart a pale straw color while higher values mean it will add a darker color to the wort. Learn more »
3-18 SRM
(3 - 14° Lovibond)
Diastatic Power
Diastatic power (DP) is a measurement of a malted grain's enzymes, which are responsible for converting the grain's starches into sugar during mashing.
PPG
PPG measures the maximum starting gravity (SG) of the fermentable in points/pound/gallon. This can differ based on your mash efficiency and the amount of wort collected.
37 ppg
(1.037 SG)
Batch Max
Certain grains and adjuncts should only be used below a maximum percentage of the grain bill. Exceeding this can cause off flavors or poor mash efficiency.
100%

If you see an error in our data, please let us know!

We are not affiliated with any grain manufacturer. All copyrights and data are provided by their respective owners.

Grains  Grains Database

Beer Maverick has compiled a database on the most frequently used grains and adjuncts used in homebrewing. Learn about their uses and brewing qualities. Browse all fermentables »

Related Articles

None found